The project aims to contribute to a climate resilient Hawke’s Bay, where Napier, Hastings and Havelock North complement each other for greater regional climate resilience as well as cultural and economic collaboration and prosperity.
Five key moves are proposed for the project site in order to contribute to the broader vision:
• Utilising the existing rail link as a commuter line and establishing a train station in central Napier. The station to act as an anchor to support a small-scale transport-oriented development core for compact living, working and playing with high connectivity and high amenity.
• Extended pedestrianisation of the Art Deco centre and introduction of residential living to the commercial centre.
• Transforming the city’s key axis Kennedy Road to a green spine for walking, cycling and public transport with high amenity on site stormwater treatment.
• Stormwater filtration and biodiversity enhancement through establishment of peatlands on and around existing flood prone areas.
• Medium density, low emissions living around high amenity wetlands.