Awa and Maunga: Dialogue between Land and Water

2023, Design 5

Kia Ora, Talofa Lava, I’m Ties

This is my project called Awa and Maunga: Dialogue between Land and Water. My approach revolves around three fundamental principles inspired by local Mana Whenua, ushering in a transformation of Pasifika Multigenerational Housing in Māngere.

1. Connection to the Maunga: The first principle places a profound emphasis on establishing a connection to ‘Te Pane o Maaho,’ the local maunga. This connection transcends geography, symbolizing cultural heritage and resilience.

2. Awa Celebration: The second principle is a tribute to Te Ararata stream, often overlooked yet steeped in history and ecology. My design not only safeguards this vital resource but also presents it as a centerpiece, enabling residents to cherish its beauty and cultural significance.

3. Embracing Whanaungatanga: At the heart of my design is Whanaungatanga, fostering kinship, harmony, and community well-being. I’ve crafted spaces that encourage social interaction, collaboration, and a sense of belonging.

By steadfastly adhering to these principles, my design seamlessly harmonizes cultural heritage, environmental sustainability, and community nurturing. It transcends conventional architecture, sculpting an environment that pays homage to Māngere’s diverse cultural fabric, weaving the past, present, and future into a vibrant tapestry of communal life.